Thursday, July 10, 2014

Fort Kearny Vacation -- Pony Express & Golden Spike Tower










On Thursday, we all got into Papa's truck and took a road trip to North Platte.  We saw a pony express station and tried to explain to the girls that mail used to be delivered on horses before cars were invented.  We also saw a sod house.  The man who built the sod house also used recycled barbed wire to create the buffalo artwork.  Then we saw the North Platte train hub.  The girls enjoyed looking through the binoculars.  Mena asked to look through and I thought it took 4 quarters to make it work.  I told her I didn't have any quarters with me.  Papa realized what the girls wanted and went to get quarters.  He came back with two dollars worth of quarters so each girl could have a turn.  Then we realized it only took 1 quarter!  Oops!  So each girl got multiple turns until they tired of looking out at the trains.

In the gift shop I told the girls they could each pick out a new train car.  First I looked through the displays to find the kind that was compatible with the set we had at home.  They each picked out a car and then I looked at the price.  It was $12 for each car.  I said no way; that's too expensive.  Then I found a bunch of cars that were only $4 each and the girls each found one they liked.  I am so glad the girls understand we can't have just anything we want and that we have to make good choices for how to spend our money.

On our way out of town we stopped at a Veterans Memorial.  I tried to explain to the girls the different branches of the service and how their hats told us what branch they were in.  Dad had to come clarify everything since I only knew a few of them.


No comments: