Saturday, November 1, 2014

RIP Puck


Saturday morning I noticed Puck was sick and that he hadn't eaten since Thursday night.  We took him to the vet.  I paid $77 for everything the vet could do to save him and he died Saturday afternoon.  I had to tell the girls that he was dead in the cage.  Mena asked what we would do with him and I said we would have to move him to a box I had but I wasn't sure how to move him.  Mena suggested we use the dust pan that I use to clean the cage which worked great.  I put him into the box and we taped it closed with pink and purple duct tape.  The girls wrote on the box to tell Puck they loved him.  Then I put him in the trash dumpster so the garbage man could bury Puck with all the other rabbits and squirrels that have died in Lincoln.  The girls both seemed fine that night.

Sunday morning at breakfast we had a very interesting conversation.  Maggie wanted me to bring Puck back and I told her that Puck would stay with Jesus now.  She was sad.  I was sad to not have him talking to me as I walked around the apartment.  Mena was worried that I would get worms like Puck did.  I told her that wouldn't happen to a person.  She then made a plan that if I died she'd take my phone and call her dad to come get her and if daddy died then she'd take his phone and call me to come get her and Maggie.  I assured her that neither I nor her dad were going to die for a long time.

Mena's school teacher said that she never mentioned Puck.  Maggie's preschool teacher said that she told her all about Puck's worms and that he died and was with Jesus.

No comments: