Thursday, January 1, 2015

New Year's Eve




We had a sleepover at Peg and Jon's house for New Year's Eve.  Peg's and my cousin Rachal also came.  The three kids ran around happily playing together.  I splurged on shrimp and scallops which us four adults enjoyed and the kids didn't care much for.  When the ball dropped in New York we toasted with our kids with sparkling grape juice.  The kids then fell asleep around 11:30 watching a movie in Jake's bed.  Us adults toasted at midnight.

I went to bed up in the attic around 12:30 am.  The kids were all asleep in Jake's bed so we left them there.  Around 3 am I heard a little voice calling "mom!"  I ran downstairs to find Jake in the hallway and both of my girls crying in his bed.  I tried to calm them down but they just wanted to be with me.  At 3 am I set up two more camping cots in the attic while Mena went to the basement for the sleeping bags we'd brought with us.  Mena also carried the pillows from Jake's bed to the attic.  The girls went right back to sleep once they were in the same room as me.  It took me awhile to fall back to sleep.  The next morning I woke up to Mena saying, "I don't know where Mom is.  She's not on her cot."  To which Maggie replied, "Yes, she is.  Come look.  I can see her right here."  I was snugged down in my sleeping bag with my head just sticking out enough for Maggie to find me.

Gene's and my parenting plan says that the girls go to the other parent's house at 11 am on New Year's day.  I told him I'd just drop them off at his house on my way home so they got there around 9:30 am.  I got home and unpacked the car.  I was ready to put my keys away and couldn't find my purse.  I'd left it at Peg's!  As I was driving to Peg's my phone rang.  Mena was crying because she wanted it to be a mommy day.  I told her I'd stop by to give her another hug after I'd picked up my purse.  She thought that was a good idea.  I got hugs from both of my girls before I headed home for the second time.

No comments: